Tuesday, October 26, 2010

What's for Dinner?

It's that time of year when a good bowl of something warm sounds good for dinner.  Last night I made such a dish.  I wanted to share this recipe that I got from a friend of mine in a recipe exchange a few years ago.  She said it was a crowd pleaser and she was right. 

Italian Tortellini Stew
1 # Italian Sausage (I use the Bob Evans roll)
1 C chopped onion
1 clove minced garlic (I cheat and use a tablespoon of the jarred garlic)
1 can (14-17oz size) tomato sauce
1 C sliced carrots
8-9 C beef broth (I use 2 of the 32 oz boxes)
1 C water
1 tblsp basil
1 tblsp Parsley
1 tblsp oregano
4 fresh tomatoes chopped
2 C sliced zucchini
1 C chopped mushrooms
1 green pepper chopped
2 small 9oz packages fresh tortellini (I cheat and buy frozen)

Saute sausage with onion and garlic.  Add tomato sauce, carrots, beef broth, chopped tomatoes, basil, parsley, and oregano.  Simmer for 1 hour.  Then add zucchini, mushrooms, green pepper, and fresh tortellini and cook for an additional hour.  (Because I cheat and use frozen tortellini I don’t add them until the last 10-15 minutes because I don’t want to over cook them).

Enjoy!  Serve with warm cornbread or just a crusty loaf of bread- yum!



  1. Oh, this looks so hearty and yummy!


  2. I like the sound of this soup :)

  3. OOOOH, yum! I have to try this one!

    PS thanks for taking the time to write the sweet comment on my blog.

  4. I tried this a few days ago. I made a few changes and posted the recipe and the link to you (wanna give credit where credit is due). Hope you are okay with it.
    Your newest follower!




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...