Tuesday, October 26, 2010

What's for Dinner?

It's that time of year when a good bowl of something warm sounds good for dinner.  Last night I made such a dish.  I wanted to share this recipe that I got from a friend of mine in a recipe exchange a few years ago.  She said it was a crowd pleaser and she was right. 

Italian Tortellini Stew
Ingredients:
1 # Italian Sausage (I use the Bob Evans roll)
1 C chopped onion
1 clove minced garlic (I cheat and use a tablespoon of the jarred garlic)
1 can (14-17oz size) tomato sauce
1 C sliced carrots
8-9 C beef broth (I use 2 of the 32 oz boxes)
1 C water
1 tblsp basil
1 tblsp Parsley
1 tblsp oregano
4 fresh tomatoes chopped
2 C sliced zucchini
1 C chopped mushrooms
1 green pepper chopped
2 small 9oz packages fresh tortellini (I cheat and buy frozen)

Saute sausage with onion and garlic.  Add tomato sauce, carrots, beef broth, chopped tomatoes, basil, parsley, and oregano.  Simmer for 1 hour.  Then add zucchini, mushrooms, green pepper, and fresh tortellini and cook for an additional hour.  (Because I cheat and use frozen tortellini I don’t add them until the last 10-15 minutes because I don’t want to over cook them).

Enjoy!  Serve with warm cornbread or just a crusty loaf of bread- yum!


~Erica

4 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks so hearty and yummy!

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of this soup :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOH, yum! I have to try this one!
    Emily

    PS thanks for taking the time to write the sweet comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried this a few days ago. I made a few changes and posted the recipe and the link to you (wanna give credit where credit is due). Hope you are okay with it.
    Your newest follower!
    http://real-women-cook.blogspot.com/2011/02/itallian-tortallini-stew.html

    ReplyDelete

bisforboy@yahoo.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...